Thursday, February 12, 2009

Trade Fair

This is a picture of Dairiimaa, one of the CHF staff working the trade fair being held today and throughout the weekend here in Ulaanbaatar.

CHF International works in many different ways in over 35 different Developing countries. If you check out the web site for CHF International, I think you will be amazed at the diversity of programs and places where CHF works. People ask me why I selected Mongolia in the middle of winter and I respond by saying, who says I selected Mongolia? I thought I was going to Africa when I volunteered until Barbara Jones at CHF called me and said, How about Mongolia? I don't know what it would have been like wherever they might have sent me in Africa but I am certainly enjoying Mongolia and the Mongolian people.
The program here in Mongolia is focused on Business Development through providing business consultations and services to primarily micro and small businesses. This program is not built around loaning money to small businesses but around providing all types of services to them. One of those services is helping the micro and small businesses obtain loans from Mongolian banks. There are 16 different Mongolian Banks and who knows how many branch offices. Currently, with the Mongolian dollar in a free fall, the banks are not making many loans. This activity, however, is only one of many services being provided to small businesses by the eight branch offices of CHF in Mongolia.

After meeting this morning here in the Corporate office of CHF, I caught a ride with some of the staff out to the Trade Fair CHF has going on for 75 clients. CHF has been working with these clients in many different ways in helping them develop their businesses. The above picture shows me finalizing a purchase with one of the trade fair participants. One of the things I purchased was a mug for drinking coffee at the office. It cost me 5,000 Togrog, the name for the Mongolian dollar or about 4 bucks.